The summer is the best reason to take a vacation, travel, and sight-see as much as possible. In celebration of UV Safety month, VSP strongly encourages you to protect your eyes as you enjoy the sights the world has to offer.
Our eyes are our windows to the world. Although the sunny weather in July invites us to come outside, it’s important to remember that ultraviolet rays are harmful to the eyes. On top of that, the longer you don’t protect your eyes under the sun, the more they are damaged. Of course, the more damage, the more susceptible you are to cataracts, macular degeneration, or dare I say it…glaucoma.
Those harmful rays are more reasons to safeguard your eyes so you can enjoy the sights of the next well-deserved vacation. Protecting your eyes is as simple as packing small key accessories, which can fit in any carry on purse. (Guys, if you refuse to use a murse, then may I suggest bringing a lady friend along. Ladies, you’re welcome.)
5 Things to Pack for Vacation:
- Shades: Sunglasses are an extension of your style. Just make sure they block 100% of UV rays. You may also want to consider polarized lenses, which cut the glare that reflects off objects around you. Take these Aviators for example; they protect your eyes in style.
- Hat: Personally, I’m not much a hat person, but lately the fashion scene has really made its hat comeback. Check out my friend below protecting her eyes while leaning her fedora to the Tower of Pisa!
- Eye drops: If you have allergies or are headed to a dry climate, make sure you buy lubricating eye drops! Avoid decongestant drops, which are commonly advertised for red eyes, because eye doctors tend to recommend against regular use of them.
- Binoculars: Let’s face it; we usually use our hand as a device to block the sun so we can strain our eyes just to see farther. Although it is a habit we all have, it would actually be easier to use binoculars; Eyes saved, sight seen, and bad tan avoided.
- Camera: Funny I know, but don’t strain your eyes attempting to soak up the sights. You only have so long before the vacation is over, so take a picture and enjoy the visual forever!