By the numbers: The importance of eye exams
- 8 in 10 people (84 percent) rate vision as the most important sense, and nearly everyone (97 percent) agrees that having healthy eyes is important, but only half of people get annual eye exams.
- Virtually no one (1 percent) knows that signs of serious diseases and conditions like high blood pressure, autoimmune disorders, thyroid diseases, and certain types of cancers can be detected through an eye exam.
- 6 in 10 (61 percent) people worry about diabetes impacting their family’s health, but only 4 percent know that eye doctors can detect signs of diabetes through an eye exam.
- More than two-thirds of parents worry about their children’s eye health more than their own, but only 12 percent of parents know children should receive their first eye exam at six months old.
- After learning about the importance of annual eye exams, 9 in 10 (90 percent) survey respondents agree on the importance of annual eye exams.
Schedule your annual eye exam.